- This event has passed.
Introduction To Imports & Exports (1/2 Day)
24th May 2017 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm£250.00
The key to successful importing to, and exporting from, the UK is by consistently achieving the best possible balance between meeting Official rules (“Compliance”) whilst maximising speed and predictability/reliability of delivery of goods and services.
This course will dispel some of the perceived barriers to exporting and disprove some of the myths about how difficult and costly international trade can be.
Although at an introductory level, the course will provide a sound understanding of the key elements of exporting and dealing with Customs clearance.
Who is this course aimed at
Those businesses wishing to explore or enter the international trade market place.
Already have basic level of knowledge? This makes a great refresher!
- Introductions & identification / understanding of delegate’s specific areas of interest.
- Basic definitions of UK imports & exports – trading between EU and non-EU countries.
- What the global “Tariff wall” is, and how it operates.
- Customs, Licencing and VAT fundamental implications & potential costs.
- Sources of information – Customs / VAT / Licencing Notices, Law, Guidance and related documents.
- How to achieve / improve the speed of movement of goods and the predictability of Customs clearance.
- How to identify, understand and comply with Official requirements.
- Examples of Customs Approvals and Simplifications, for example Authorised Economic Operator (“AEO”), how to secure these Approvals and their practical benefits.
- Incoterms 2010 – an introduction, sources of information and how to use them effectively.
- The role of freight forwarders and import / export agents and how to choose and instruct / manage the performance of the most efficient operators.
- How to Classify goods using the UK Customs Tariff – Commodity Codes.
- Valuation and Origin of goods.
- What are Customs Procedures and how do they operate (Customs Procedure Codes)?
- What is Customs “CHIEF” computer system and how to make import / export declarations?
- Security requirements – including Official rules & the Terms & Conditions of contracting Parties.
- Direct / indirect responsibilities – what happens when things go wrong?
- Where to find more detailed / technical information, free regular email alerts from Government Agencies, online tools, further help & advice.
- What to do next to get started importing / exporting?
- A clear and jargon-free understanding of how to export goods from the UK / EU.
- A safe and sound appreciation of the basic legal rules and regulations.
- An exploration of the opportunities to enhance the export process to make it as speedy and predictable as possible thus fulfilling Customers’ expectations and agreed terms.
- A basic understanding of Incoterms and how to make the best use of them to minimise risks to the exporter.
- The impact of BREXIT (as we know it so far)
- Information on where to go next.