- This event has passed.
April 30 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm£210 Non-Academy Price £147 Academy Price
Who should attend: If you want to become more effective at making requests of others, saying ‘no’ to unreasonable demands, or generally improving your level of assertiveness and increase your confidence and self-esteem then this course is for you!
Some people confuse assertive behaviour with aggression, and mistakenly think that to assert yourself is to stand your ground and refuse compromise in any way. Assertiveness is a behaviour we can use when communicating and interacting with others. It’s a way of treating others as equals and ‘standing up for your rights without violating the rights of others’. This includes tactfully, justly, confidently and effectively expressing our preferences, needs, opinions and feelings. Assertiveness is a skill that can be learned and will contribute to your effectiveness in work.
· The need for assertiveness – identify situations where you would like to be more assertive
· Exploration of Submissive, Assertive, Aggressive and Passive Aggressive behaviour
· Tackling the barriers to assertiveness
· Self – Assessment of communication style
· Rights and Responsibilities
· 10 assertive rights
· Building rapport to build and maintain relationships
· Range of Assertiveness Techniques
· Define assertiveness
· Understand the principles, benefits and challenges of assertive communication
· Describe the assertive rights
· Recognise barriers to being assertive
- Use a number of effective assertiveness techniques to best suit the situation